From the Office of the General Conference Youth Ministries Department:
The General Conference Youth Ministries Department has consulted with the 13 division youth directors and has received overwhelming support for adopting a “Global Youth Day” in order to bring together youth around the world in a spirit of mission and service.
March 16, 2013 has been chosen as it marks the beginning of the Youth Week of Prayer globally. Although in some parts of the world the Youth Week of Prayer takes place at a different time, youth around the world will unite as one on that day for a common purpose.
The objective of Global Youth Day is to recapture a sense of belonging to this global army of youth, called to contribute in the proclamation of the Advent message in this generation.
The focus of the day will be “One in Compassion” and will be grounded in one of the most well-known parables of Jesus, namely the parable of the Good Samaritan found in Luke 10:25-37. It will be an intergenerational day of compassion whereby the wider church community will be invited to join their youth in service.
On Sabbath, the 16th of March, 2013, eight million young people around the world will attend one less Sabbath school class and hear one less sermon—they will be the Sabbath school lesson and the sermon. They will step out of church to reach out in the name of Jesus.
There will be six elements to the Global Youth Day:
1. Young people from local churches, regions, or Conferences/Missions will meet and spend part of Sabbath on the streets and local communities.
2. They will be involved in an act of compassion that will have been chosen and planned for in advance.
3. At the end of their compassion activity, 8 million youth around the world will donate or pledge to donate blood as the supreme life-saving act of compassion.
4. At sunset, the young people will congregate back in their local churches, regions, or Conferences/Missions for a time of celebration and the commencement of the Week of Prayer, wherever applicable.
5. Youths around the world will be connected through technology as we share stories and light up our world progressively through the different time zones.
6. A specially designed T-shirt will identify our global initiative.
Global Youth Day will be an annual event with a different emphasis each year.